Monday, January 25, 2010

The Wall

There is a wall that is very familiar to Rwandan adoptive families. This wall is made of brick. This wall is a orange clay color.


This wall is where some of the referral pictures are taken, mostly the older children. This referral picture is the first thing that you have of your new child. The first view of their face. The first view of who they are. This is Grace's referral picture.


Seeing it now, we see how sad she looked. How alone she looked. Such a little girl next to a big wall. We were so happy to get this picture. We spent hours analyzing the wall, trying to figure out how big she might be. I carried this picture with me everywhere. I had one in my office, in my purse. Ryan had one in his office and Kaylee kept one in her backpack. This picture was our only connection to our Grace.

Arriving at the orphanage on the first day, we instantly recognized this wall. This wall is one of the first things that you see when entering past the big blue gates. This wall is part of a building where the nuns do their daily prayers. This wall will forever be a part of my memory of our adoption journey to Grace.

Since we do not have any baby pictures of Grace or anything really from her life without us, I wanted to take something that was hers and make it ours. I have several pictures of this wall. Pictures of our family getting to know Grace in front of this wall. Our travel group in front of this wall. However, there were 2 pictures that I wanted to have. There were 2 pictures that could help connect us to Grace's past. There were 2 pictures that I took on our last day there.



Now all 3 of my children have been in front of the wall. The first picture was of a little girl sad, scared, not sure what to do. The last 2 pictures are of excited children ready to love their new little sister. All 3 of my children have been at this wall. All 3 of my children have a connection to this wall, this orange clay brick wall. All 3 of my children are gifts from Him.

11 comments:

Regan said...

you are really an amazing writer. I don't know if you write for a living, or studied the art of writing when you went to school, but it is a gift you have from God. May you use it for His glory! Even if it is only on this blog, it blesses me.

KLTTX said...

Great post! And what a difference in Grace now from then - her smile is infectious. God is so good.

jill coen said...

Wow! That's all I can say. Wow. Great post!!

Joy said...

:*) (As with every one of your posts)

Our Journey to Rwanda said...

You write what I feel and do not know how to put into words. Thank you. What a transformation, not only in Grace, but in all of our hearts...

Jim and April said...

wow...what a great post! Something I would have not thought about perhaps but loved how you wrote about the wall!

Laurel Greer said...

beautiful

Jami said...

This is wonderful post, Ashley !! ...very creative idea ! Have you thought of writing a book and /or even just making a snapfish.com hardback book for your children about this experience ?? Your family is a great voice for adoption !! What a blessing !!

Elaine Hukill said...

Great post. She does look sad in the photo and so happy in the more recent one. What a difference God has made in all of our lives. especially in sweet little Gracies..
Love,

Mom

Kaylee said...

It brings back so many great memories.

brenda said...

this one touched my heart